The first known Lord of this medieval castle is Antoine de GUENAND, Lord of Saint-Cyran, du Jambot, de Vitray, de Tanchou, de Brossein, and La Celle-Geunand. He is cited on April, 1st 1422 for his marriage to Oralie de FONTENAY. He entered royal service as Captain-Govenor of Loches in 1441, under Charles VII (who had famously been crowned in Reims in 1429 through the endeavors of Joan of Arc to free France from the English). Pierre, Lord GUENAND (Antoine's son) inherited the estate in 1487; at the time he was Governor of the Royal Castle at Amboise under Louis XI, and Grand Chaimberlain during the reign of Charles VIII. Antoine II de GUENAND, chevalier continued in his fathers noble footsteps. His son, Georges de GUENAND was childless, so at his death, the estate was left to his Aunt, Antoinette d'AZAY (nee de Guenand),
In 1537 Guillaume de COUTANCE (Seigneur de Baillou) married Renee d'AZAY (grand-daughter of Antoinette), bringing together two chatelaines, La-Celle-Guenand and La-Celle-Draon. The Lords of Coutance were Lords of Baillon (knights of the order of the King); Hardouin de Coutance, knight in 1604, was an Ordinary Gentleman of the king's Bedchamber, and his Lieutenant of the city and castle of Nantes. The estate was held by the COUTANCE family until 1780, having witnessed 10 Kings of France crowned during their stewardship.
Jean Cantineau de COMMACRES owned chateau de La Celle Guenand until 1785 the last years of the French monachy. Followed by Pierre GAULIER who lived there through the 1789 'revoltuion' until 1794. Indeed the estate was held by the GAULIER des BORDES through the First Empire, Second Republic, Second Empire, and through the Third Republic until 1935, when it passed to Jacques-Marie Joseph DEVAULX de CHAMBORD.
Since then the castle has remained a happy place and owners have been few: Pierre Conrad Hervé DE COSTA CHARRON (Ambassadeur Plénipotentiaire de l'Ordre de Malte), followed by Dr Henrik VAN BRUGGEN, and the family des ACRES de l'AIGLE. The current custodian of this ancient castle is Mr Stephane d'ARZ-PALLUEL.
The origin of the name La-Celle-Guenand comes for the first part of its name from Celtic 'cella' which means cell, small house, actually a small monastery. Guenand is the family name of the original land owner.
In 1793, the municipality received a revolutionary name: Saddle-Remillon.
The inhabitants of La-Celle-Guenand are called Cellois-Guenandais.
A decree of June 11, 1943 registered the chateau on the Additional Inventory of Historic Buildings (ISMH).
Few regions of France have yielded as many prehistoric vestiges as the southern part of Touraine. People have lived on this site since the Neolithic period, but La Celle-Guenand was only named in about 1426. Nestled in a small valley on the river Remillon, the village brings together ancient half-timbered houses, a Jewry, a Museum of Tools, and the harmonious 12th century Romanesque church of Notre-Dame. The ancient street names give clues to the activities of village life, rue de tanneries (Tannery Street); rue de ancienne abattoir (Old Abattoir Street); rue du juiverie (Jewry Street), and evoke the spirit of a bygone era.
La Celle-Guenand's lordly chateau, ancient seat of Antoine de Guenand, is remarkable for its complex architecture inspired by the fortress of Vincennes built by Charles V (c1364). The main building (1422) is shouldered by several towers. It is linked by a gallery (1476), held up by arches, to the "Chatelet" with its graceful cantilevered turrets. Other elements were added in the 17th and 19th centuries. Well positioned midway between Tours and Poitiers, the castle continues to supervise the valley where it sits magnificently over the village.
Copyright © 2010-2014 www.chateaucelleguenand.com - Tous droits reserves
La Celle Guenand, Touraine, Indre et Loire, Centre, France